Rock Wall Games has released its first alpha demo of Formicide. Players can host their own local games, and a public test server is available as well. Formicide is an intense, 2D, fast-paced multiplayer platformer featuring bloodthirsty ants. It’s inspired by titles like Quake, Unreal Tournament, Worms, and Liero. The Formicide alpha demo can be downloaded here.
You’re a rough and tumble ant looking for the fight of its life. You get out on the battlefield with your trusty shotgun. Just as you suspected, you find other grizzled ants out there as well, hungry for action. Baby, you got a stew going! A rocket explodes on the ground behind you as you lunge into the air, leaving nothing but a smoldering crater where once stood one of your adversaries, who has been sent to the great ant hill in the sky. You dash forward and find yourself face-to-face with a fireant wielding a flamethrower. You try to pull the trigger, but much to your dismay, you find that your arms and head are detached from your torso, your body parts launching in all directions. Tough luck!
· Online multiplayer. Blow up ants anywhere in the world.
· Multiple game modes. Deathmatch, capture the flag, and more. (Coming soon!)
· Dozens of weapons. Blow your colleagues away with guided seeker missiles, or get up close and personal with a shiv.
· Tons of skins. The age-old question of what a fight between a pirate ant and a cowboy ant would look like is finally answered.
· Unique environments. Ever wanted to be able to use a flamethrower underwater? Now you can, for some reason!
· Destructible terrain. Terrain is destructible!
· Fully moddable. Modify any part of the game, including weapons, maps, game modes, player skins, and basically anything else. (Not available in the demo)
Ben is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of PCGR. He writes much of the content, manages the site, and does other editorial things that would bore you to tears.